Computer and Internet Use Agreement
Working together - parent, student and College
The College has installed computers with Internet access to help your learning. These rules will keep you safe and help us be fair to others.
Computer and Network Use
- I will only access the system with my own login and password, which I will keep secret, if someone else knows my password I will change it or get it changed;
- I will only use the software made available to me from the Start Menu and will not attempt to alter it or add any other programs (this includes downloads from the Internet and viruses);
- I will observe the copyright of other peoples work and will not attempt to pass off other peoples work as my own;
- I will only access files in my own area or the shared resources area ;
- I will use the computers and network only in the way that it is set up, and will not attempt to alter it or in anyway compromise the way that the computers or networks work;
- I will use the computers for schoolwork and homework only (the playing of games is strictly forbidden);
- I will only use acceptable language (not for example profane, obscene, racist, sexist or inflammatory language or images);
- I will only bring in floppy disks, CDs, DVDs memory sticks or any other removable media from outside school when I have permission to do this for my school work and I will ensure they are checked for viruses before i use them;
- I will not attempt to tamper with any of the computer hardware or do anything that could affect the safety of others;
- I will only print work that I need for College use;
Internet and email use
- I will only use the Internet for school work;
- I understand that I should not use the computers to play electronic games or enter chat rooms;
- I will only e-mail when a teacher has given me permission for College work;
- The messages I send will be polite and responsible;
- I will not give my home address or telephone number, or arrange to meet someone, unless my parent, carer or teacher has given permission;
- I will report any unpleasant material or messages sent to me. I understand this report would be confidential and would help protect other pupils and myself;
- I will not open any e-mail attachments that I am not expecting or don’t seem genuine;
- I understand that the school may check my computer files and may monitor the Internet sites I visit;
- I will not download anything from the Internet unless it is for my school work and I have permission to do it;
- I understand that my computer and Internet use may be monitored and that I am responsible for anything done from my logon name and anything stored in my user area;
- If I am not sure about my use of the computer network I will consult the ICT Coordinator;
Using College network resources from outside of the College
- I understand that if I use college resources accessible through the SHTC website that the rules that apply in College still apply;
- I understand that I don’t have permission to let anyone else use the Website resources that I access through my username and password, and that if someone does I may be held responsible for what they do.
Failure to follow the above guidelines will be treated seriously and may result in a temporary or permanent ban from using the computers, removal of the privilege of using the Internet, exclusion or if an illegal activity is committed the police being informed.
Because access to the Internet provides connections to other computer systems located all over the world, users (and their parents) must understand that the College does not control the content of the information on these systems. Some of this material may be controversial or offensive. The College does not condone the use of such material. The College will use its best endeavours to block inappropriate material. However, the nature of the Internet means that we cannot be 100% effective in achieving this. A simplified reminder of this will be displayed when a user logs onto the computer network and is present in the student planner.
05/2004 Rewritten by K Wyles Modified 10/05 Modified 10/07